From having an underground river, rice terraces, beaches to an island inside volcano, Philippines is like the treasure box of nature. Apart from the nature Philippines has a long history of colonization by Europeans and Americans and the effects are visible in the language, architecture and Filipino culture. Philippines was the first country in Southeast Asia to gain independence after the world war- II.
Here Are Some Lesser Known Interesting Facts About The Philippines :
- With around 7641 Islands, it is the second-largest archipelago in the world. Only 2000 of them are inhabited by humans and, near about 5000 islands, are still unnamed on global maps.
- It is the fifth-largest English-speaking country in the world. Filipino’s are considered one of the best English speakers in Asia.
- More than 11% of the population works abroad. The Philippines is also the largest exporter of nurses in the world.
- Spain and America once colonized the Philippines. And the effects of colonization are visible in the Filipino culture.
- It is also the largest exporter of coconuts in the world. It is also one of the largest producers of Pineapple and abaca.
- The Philippines is the only Asian country in the world that is predominantly Christian because of the Spanish colonial influence.
- Filipino’s send about 400 million texts every day, making it the “texting capital of the world.”The country is also known as the “texting country of the world.”
- The Taal volcano in the Philippines consists of an island(Luzon) that has a lake(Taal Lake) with a smaller island(Volcano Island) with a lake(Main Crater of Taal Volcano) that has a tiny islet(Vulcan Point) in it.
- The country is home to three of the ten largest shopping malls on earth.
- The island of Camiguin is home to the most number of volcanoes per square mile. There are five towns and seven volcanoes on the island.
- It is also home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world e.g. Boracay. Palawan was featured as the most beautiful island in the world by Condé Nast Traveler and Travel & Leisure.
- The national flag of the country can be inverted to represent a state of war.
- Three of the largest known pearls were found in the Philippines.
- Have you ever heard of a country where the crime rate drops to zero when there is a boxing match? In the Philippines, when there is a boxing match of Manny Pacquiao, the crime rate drops to zero in Metro Manila.
- The eruption of Mount Pinatubo created the largest mushroom cloud on the planet.
Also Read: Beautiful Filipino Home Decor Ideas!
Filipino people are known to be very hospitable and friendly in nature. Family and religion hold an upper value, unlike other East Asian countries like South Korea or Japan. The Filipino people speak a variety of Tagalog language.